Import Administration
September 2001:   New FTZ Mailing Address  
last update: September 2002 
                           Foreign-Trade Zones Board 
 
                               [Docket No. 12-80] 
 
                                  45 FR 56853 
 
                                August 26, 1980 
 


Foreign-Trade Zone No. 31, Granite City. Ill.; Application for Temporary Site  

TEXT: Notice is hereby given that the Tri-City Regional Port District, 
grantee of Foreign-Trade Zone No. 31 in Granite City, Illinois, has applied 
to the Foreign-Trade Zones Board (the Board) for authority to temporarily 
expand its zone to include, until December 31, 1983, a 95,000 square foot 
warehouse in Granite City, Illinois, within the St. Louis Customs port of 
entry. The application was submitted pursuant to the provisions of the 
Foreign-Trade Zones Act of 1934, as amended (19 U.S.C. 81a-81u), and the 
regulations of the Board (15 CFR Part 400). It was formally filed on August 
18, 1980. Tri-City was created as an Illinois incorporated port district 
under Illinois Revised Statutes, Chap. 19, Sec. 284, et seq. Authority to 
apply for the right to establish and operate foreign-trade zones was added 
to its charter in 1975 (Illinois P.A. 79-613, Sec. 1). 

   Foreign-Trade Zone No. 31 was authorized by the Board on September 6, 
1977 (Board Order No. 122). The zone consists of a 47-acre site within the 
127-acre Tri-City Industrial Center on the western limits of Granite City, 
Illinois. The zone is adjacent to the Chain of Rocks Canal and within the 
St. Louis Customs port of entry. A 100,000 square foot warehouse is planned 
for the site.  

   The application seeks temporary zone status for an existing 95,000 
square foot warehouse known as the Tri-City Grocery Warehouse. It is 
located at 1630 South State Street, Granite City, Illinois, within 2 miles 
of the approved site. The temporary site will allow the grantee to provide 
warehousing services while construction of the warehouse on the permanent 
site is being completed. Fox Industries leases and operates the temporary 
site, and will operate the zone. Prospective tenants have indicated intent 
to use the zone for warehousing and distribution of medical equipment and 
instruments, sporting goods, liquor, and optical instruments. 

   In accordance with the Board's regulations, an Examiners Committee has 
been appointed to investigate the application and report thereon to the 
Board. The committee consists of John J. Da Ponte, Jr. (Chairman), 
Executive Secretary, Foreign-Trade Zones Board; William L. Duncan, 
District Director, U.S. Customs Service, St. Louis District, 120 S. 
Central Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63105; and Colonel Robert J. Dacey, 
District Engineer, U.S. Army Engineer District St. Louis, 210 Tucker Blvd. 
N., St. Louis, Missouri 63101. 

   Comments concerning the proposed zone expansion are invited in writing 
from interested persons and organizations. They should be addressed to the 
Board's Executive Secretary at the address below and postmarked on or 
before September 26, 1980. 

   A copy of the application is available for public inspection at each of 
the following locations: 

 
U.S. Dept. of Commerce District Office, 
120 South Central Avenue, 
St. Louis, Missouri 63105. 
 
 
Office of the Executive Secretary, 
Foreign-Trade Zones Board, 
U.S. Department of Commerce, 
14th and E Streets, N.W., Room 6886-B, 
Washington, D.C. 20230.  

   Dated: August 20, 1980. 

 
John J. Da Ponte, Jr., 

   Executive Secretary, Foreign-Trade Zones Board.   
[FR Doc. 80-25998 Filed 8-25-80; 8:45 am]