DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
Foreign-Trade Zones Board
54 FR 40153
September 29, 1989
Foreign-Trade Zone 70, Detroit, Michigan; Application for Expansion
TEXT: An application has been submitted to the Foreign-Trade Zones Board
(the Board) by the Greater Detroit Foreign Trade Zone, Inc. (GDFTZ), grantee
of Foreign-Trade Zone 70, requesting authority to expand its zone in the
Detroit Customs port of entry area. The application was submitted pursuant
to the provisions of the Foreign-Trade Zones Act, as amended (19 U.S.C.
81a-81u), and the regulations of the Board (15 CFR part 400). It was
formally filed on September 19, 1989.
The Detroit zone was approved in July 1981 (Board Order 176, 46 FR 38941,
7/30/81), and expanded in April 1985 (Board Order 299, 50 FR 16119,
4/24/85). The zone project presently consists of five general-purpose zone
sites (total area: 30 acres, including 640,000 sq. ft. of warehouse space)
and 12 auto assembly plant subzones in the Detroit area. An application is
currently pending for two additional sites (Doc. 10-88).
The grantee is now requesting further authority to expand two of the
existing zone sites: The Airport Site, Romulus, Michigan, and the
Nicholson/Riverport Site, Ecorse, Michigan, in order to accommodate the
increasing demand for zone warehouse space in the Detroit area. The Airport
Site involves a 26,000 sq. ft. warehouse at 6850 Middlebelt Road, Romulus,
operated by W.F. Whelan & Co. It is located one mile from the Detroit
Metropolitan Airport. The expansion would add 92 acres on six separate
parcels adjacent to the airport and west of Wayne Road between Grant Road
and the Norfolk Southern Railroad Line. The expanded site will also be
operated by W.F. Whelan under agreement with Metro Airport Center Ltd.
The existing Nicholson/Riverport Site consists of 5 acres within the
Nicholson Terminal and Dock Company's terminal facility, located on the
Detroit River in Ecorse. The proposal calls for the expansion to include
the entire 45-acre Nicholson facility.
In accordance with the Board's regulations, an examiners committee has
been appointed to investigate the application and report to the Board.
The committee consists of: Dennis Puccinelli (Chairman), Foreign-Trade
Zones Staff, U.S. Department of Commerce, Washington, DC 20230; William L.
Morandini, District Director, U.S. Customs Service, North Central Region,
Patrick V. McNamara Building, 477 Michigan Avenue, Detroit, Michigan
48226-2568; and Colonel John D. Glass, District Engineer, U.S. Army Engineer
District Detroit, P.O. Box 1027, Detroit, Michigan 48231-1027.
Comments concerning the proposed expansion are invited in writing from
interested parties. They should be addressed to the Board's Executive
Secretary at the address below and postmarked on or before November 10, 1989.
A copy of the application is available for public inspection at each of
the following locations:
U.S. Department of Commerce, District Office,
1140 McNamara Building,
477 Michigan Avenue,
Detroit, Michigan 48226.
Office of the Executive Secretary,
Foreign-Trade Zones Board,
U.S. Department of Commerce,
14th and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., Room 2835,
Washington, DC 20230.
Dated: September 25, 1989.
John J. Da Ponte, Jr.,
[FR Doc. 89-22952 Filed 9-28-89; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3510-DS-M